Monday, January 5, 2009

Our little scare!

I'm just going to throw out my thoughts once and not proof read this, so please excuse any errors. Here we go.

Things had been going great with this pregnancy. I had a lot of energy and was working hard as usual. We had just gotten through the holidays and had recently even been to Disneyland and the Long Beach Aquarium. Then our baby boy decided he wanted to try to come early. Thursday night 01-01-09 at about 11:00 PM I started having contractions. At first we brushed them off thinking they would go away, but about 3 hours later they were close together (about 3 minutes apart) and I was beginning to feel some pain in my back. I called my doctor. She said for me to go to Long Beach Memorial Hospital since they are better equipped for little babies.

We called my dad and he was able come right over to stay the night with the girls. We checked in to the hospital and they decided to start me on Magnesium (a muscle relaxer). It was a pretty heavy drug. It made me really warm and blurred my vision a little, but it was doing the trick. The contractions were slowing down. They often drew my blood to check for the level of magnesium in me. Slowly they brought down the amount of magnesium, until finally about a day and a half later I was off it completely. During this time they had given me two shots of steroids to push along the baby's lung development as a precautionary step.

Things were looking good. Saturday afternoon, my doctor came to the hospital, wrote me up a prescription for a less intense muscle relaxer and ordered me to bed rest at home. She said for me to stay another 4 hours then I could go. Well, within those 4 hours I started having some contractions again! So, they called my doctor and she said to hold me over night. I was bummed, but was more than willing to do whatever it took to keep the baby safe. So Sunday morning, I was still having just a few contractions like 2 in 3 hours, but my doctor said it would be OK to go home. Yeah, I was SO ready!!! It felt so nice to finally take the IV out of my arm and take the monitors off my tummy. Mike came and got me around noon.

I'm now on strict bed rest and am taking the prescription muscle relaxer every 6 hours. The ultimate goal of course would be to go full term (40 wks.), but the small goal in site is to get through another week and 2 days (34 wks.). My doctor says the lungs are much better developed by that point.

So it is really hard for me to just lay around and not do much, but I understand the importance of it! So Mike is doing A LOT more around the house than normal. Family has been bringing meals. My sister Amy is flying down from Buffalo, New York on Wed. and will stay for a least a week or 2. And friends have been helping with school pick up and drop off. Thanks to everyone for your prayers, help, and support! We are so blessed to have you in our lives! We love you. And baby Blake thanks you too. : )

7 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

Oh my goodness! I was wondering what was going on. Please let me help you. I can bring Paige home with us on Tue/Thursdays from school if you'd like. Or have both girls over after school. Also, I live at the Grocery store, so just let me know if I can pick you up groceries.
That is way scary, I am glad they gave you steroids and that you are being good about staying in bed.

Luke & Natalie said...

I'm so glad that you and baby Blake are ok. That is such a scary thought to think that he might come too early. I hope the rest goes well.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm happy that things have settled down and that you seem to out of the danger zone. I've been so worried about you and Blake (but I didn't want to bother you with a phone call during such a stressful time).
I'll give you a call soon and help you pass a little bit of your prison sentence in bed.

Unknown said...

Prayers have been answered. Aren't you glad that you planned ahead and got everything ready? Talk soon...

Wurtz Gang said...

We are sending all of our best wishes in your direction! You will definately stay in our prayers!

Rebecca Kline said...

Bedrest SUCKS eggs! Do you have a laptop to play with? I'll come over and bring things to amuse you. I've done much bedrest in my time and I totally feel your pain. Call me if (when) you get bored.

Maosi Fam said...

im so glad that you guys are doing better! gosh it really sucks being so far away when family is going through stressful crazy things like this where i cant help...once my mom told me i hurried off the phone and got redy to call mikes cell to see if you guys needed me to come over and watch the girls or they needed to be picked up from shcool or what you guys needed and sadly realized taht i was thousands of miles away and couldnt do a thing "phyisically" but then realized all i could do was say a prayer and fast...so tahts what aaron and i did...i bet bed rest sucks but if thats what is going to keep you and baby Blake safe then it is what it is! i too was going to call you this week but didnt want to bother yo9u...so if you are ever bored im free to chat=]

love ya and miss you guys!
ps---thanks for the birthday text that mike sent from you all=]